Monday, May 3, 2010

Alex Hornsteins Projects


This process was actually done backwards. The assignment was to choose the flower first create tan abstraction and create it out of wood from there. However, I knew that I wanted to work with beach wood and therefore, that became my starting off point. When choosing the flower I wanted to work with, I made the decision of working with the Hibiscus because it is a flower native to a beachy climate.

This project is from the architecture unit. The assignment was to create an abstraction from a building found in the area. I chose Grand Central Terminal, I built this model to replicate what the inside looks like with the columns, and my focus was on the astrological ceiling, (which is backwards in real life).
This is the self-portrait project. I first constructed this model of myself in clay, made a mold in plaster (a very tedious process) and then cast in plaster, with this as the final result.

This project taught me a lot about a subject I dislike very much... math. This project was done to reflect planes in the Fibonacci number sequence. I used wire, felt, paper to create the planes that gradually get smaller/bigger and I played with manipulating the way the sculpture hangs.


This is the first project we were ever assigned. It was to use various cuves, (ellipse, trajectory, parabolas, etc.) and create a wire sculpture that included these curves.

These are all the pieces that I have included in the book...

No comments:

Post a Comment