Saturday, March 13, 2010

Carina Liebmann's 1st Semester Projects

The wire projects using different curves was challenging because of the rule that it could only stand on three points. I do think, however, that this rule did make the sculptures more interesting. Although I struggled with balancing my project I found the process of bending the wires and making interesting shapes enjoyable.

The Fibonacci planes project was one of my favorite projects, despite the fact it was for me the most tedious. I made people-like forms getting smaller in different directions from one large form. I used fabric and large stitching to cover the wire planes, hoping to achieve a sense of comfort associated with dolls or stuffed animals.


I enjoyed the plaster condom sculptures project a lot. The whole process was fun, especially getting covered in plaster while trying to make hollow plaster pieces. I was very happy when I managed to get all my plaster pieces to hold together permanently. I used a lot of curved shapes and tried to position points so the lead to different parts of the piece. I finished it by painting it a shiny white that has a cool tone, which i feel gave the piece more of a slithering movement.

For the sound project I put a circular tube at the bottom of a skirt. I filled the tube with marbles and when the skirt sways the marbles makes noise. For added noise, and because I wanted suspenders, I made suspenders with chains dangling from them.


For the movement project I choose the movement of a bat. Particularly the ability of a bat to wraps its wings entirely around itself, or expand their wings. I made asymmetrical wings on a hinge which wrap around a spiky drop shaped form, or can be expanded outward from it.

For the final project I got the word Dynamic. As soon as I began to try to picture this word I imagined an outfit which stands out. I decided on a hoodie, with a large hood and belt. the colors I chose also were with the intend to make the piece stand out. I used grey and black to contrast with the shiny gold and electric blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment