Sunday, March 7, 2010

Mary Mohr's 1st and 2nd Semester Projects


1st Semester


For this project we poured plaster into condoms and used those shapes to create a sculpture. This was my first time ever working with plaster. The process of pouring and mixing the plaster was a lot of fun.


For this project we were supposed to create a sculpture using Fibonacci's sequence. I used tissue paper, wire, and colored tape for this project. My inspiration for this sculpture was a peacock and how their feathers are very colorful and different sizes.


This project was my first time working with wire to create a sculpture. I created an abstract flower using different colored wires. I really enjoyed this project and it is one of my favorite sculpture pieces I have done.

2nd Semester

This particular sculpture was inspired by a plant form. The plant that inspired me was the Rafflesia flower. This flower is the largest flower in the world. It gives off the scent of rotten flesh to ward off predators. I used the idea of the rotting flesh and the disease like qualities that the flower uses in my design. The black stripes on my piece represent disease. Any animal that might want to eat these flowers would see the black stripes and would back off immediately.


This sculpture was inspired by a particular piece of architecture. My inspiration was a beautifully and intricately decorated synagogue located in the middle of New York City. The synagogue has large posts with beautiful round tops that I drew most of my inspiration from.


We made plaster self portraits heads in the second semester. We first molded our heads out of clay. Then we made a plaster mold and poured plaster into this mold. We then had to refine and sand our plaster heads once they came out of the mold. The process of make these plaster head was long, complicated, frustrating, but VERY worth the final result.

No comments:

Post a Comment