Sunday, April 25, 2010

Alexandria Hornsteins Projects

"The men of experiment are like the ant; they only collect and use. But the bee . . . gathers its materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of its own. -Leonardo DaVinci"



This class was the busy-as-a-bee class. Every Monday all the members of my class could be found hunched over the large tables of the Stuben Pratt Studios. We worked with various materials, we glued, nailed, tied, and bended, in order to complete one of the most tedious tasks imaginable; making a sculpture. The valuable lessons I learned in this class, along with patience, are owed to all the differing materials I’ve worked with. Professor Welz opened my eyes to many uncharted territories; plaster, wire, wood, etc. I also realized my love for an art form that takes a lot of time, but in the end, physically making something with your hands that takes as much effort and focus, as any sculpture that was made in this class required, was well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment