Monday, April 19, 2010

Miki Bauer's 3D Portfolio


The first project of the year incorporates line as a tool to express form. We were supposed to incorporate all eight types of curves in this piece and successfully support it on only three points. I used soldering and thin wire to support my joints.



Plaster sculptures were definitely an experience. I will never forget Perri's condom exploding all over her nor the tap-tap technique we were taught. The two best shapes that I produced and incorporated were the long sticks and the hollow sphere. The three point rule was enforced again, and to support my form I used wooden dowels besides plaster. I enjoyed this project very much.

The noise making project was the first one where everybody's style could truly be seen. There was a lot of variation between all of the final projects. I decided to produce a basic shape of a helmet out of plaster, and then add spray cans to the top in order to make noise. Warrior resembling paint and fake blood were applied for emphasized effect.







The movement project was an ambitious and elaborate assignment. I picked the Bald Eagle as my inspiration and I mimicked the movement of the claws. The base and the skeleton of the claws are constructed from wood and the joints are brass tubes. The skeleton is lined with rope and the inside is lined with stretched rubber bands, so when you pull on the rope the claws extend and when you let go they automatically contract.

For the final project I received the word Serious, which I thought was a horrible word, but only personally. I could not come up with any technical design in my head. So I chose a more traditional way, I changed the word to Seriously? and produced a bust of Alex Wood in that expression. The piece is made entirely of oil based clay and it is seated on top of a wooden base.

The plaster self portrait was the first project of the second semester. We went through the whole process of making a clay model, a mold, and then refining the final product that came out of the mold.




My last documented project is the architecture piece. This was the most elaborate design I have ever tried to construct. It consists of four main parts (the motor and the arms, the mid-skeleton grid, the top cover, and the individual boxes) and it is fully deconstructible. I used basswood for everything and brass tubes for joints. Skateboard bearings for the arms and styrofoam balls for the curve under each box. The boxes were supposed to lift individually and independently as the arm would go under them (due to the semi-circle shape of the parts in contact). Unfortunately, it did not work out the way I wanted it to; the boxes lifted, but the movement was jagged and not smooth. Overall, I spent about 40 hours on this project.







No comments:

Post a Comment