Monday, April 19, 2010

Carina Liebmann's Second Semester Stuff


For the self portrait we started with clay, which we used to made a plaster mold out of.
We then pour plaster into the mold, and then carve into the plaster for details.

This project was a bit tricky and had a lot of room for mess-ups. It took a while for me to break off the mold from the plaster face. However, I found the process interesting.


For the architecture project we had to pick a building and use attributes from that building to create a sculpture.
I picked a Brooklyn apartment building.



I used the building's four levels of roof as my main focus.
I wanted my sculpture to move upward with a floating light feel. I put weights at the bottom coil of my sculpture, which supported the entire sculpture without having to add supports to the other coils. I played with the idea of having an element connecting all the layers and decided on tissue paper flowing from the top to the bottom.


For my plant project I did the Sundew plant. We had to used attributes from our plant and create a relating sculpture from wood. My plant is carnivorous, and has a bright red bottom which is spiked and captures the insects. I found it ironic because the top of the plant has a single little white flower at a time and looks inviting, while the bottom is so dangerous.

sundew.jpg




I used the idea of gentle and clam transferring to dangerous for my piece. I carved the piece out of a block of wood and for the bottom spikes I broke dowels into curves.

The sand blasting project was a lot of fun. I just wish we had more time on it. We had to design the bottles based off of an environmental awareness idea. I did a water theme, and illustrated a drought, a flood, and dirty water. I filled the bottles to go with each theme.



No comments:

Post a Comment